Ortho-K procedure has the following advantages and downsides which need to be weighted prior to arriving at a decision.
Ortho-K and Eye care: Pros
- Good-quality eyesight without dependence on specs or contacts for major part of the day.
- It is a non-operative method.
- It is amendable.
- It is a painless procedure.
- It may slacken the progression of myopia among kids.
- Well-founded contact lens affixing practice employed which translates to fewer risks.
Ortho-K and Eye care: Cons
- One must be ready for four to six sessions that would span for three to six months.
- Retainer eye lenses are an indispensable part of the procedure or else the cornea would relapse to its former shape.
- The level of success is good however it is not assured at all times.
- The pace of myopia lessening would vary in each case.
- Instructions are to be adhered religiously for reaping optimal outcomes.
For Optimal eye care is Ortho-K better than Laser Surgery?
- Patient has to be at least 18 years of age or generally, twenty-one years old, which is the eligibility age for the procedure.
- Lasting foggy eyesight is not sensed post-procedure which is observed in patients’ post-laser surgery.
- Both the eyes are treated in the same visit instead of many weeks or months spaced out.
- Variations in prescription over spans of time could be tackled with no need for surgical procedure.
- The method is amendable while Lasik procedure could not be reversed.
- There is considerable perception of the outcomes of contacts usage on the cornea due to several years of their usage. Lasik’s outcomes are not completely comprehended.
- No post-surgical pains.
- Ortho-K is comparatively economical and not precluding upcoming surgical procedure.
The practice is time-consuming and involving numerous lens amends. But, the foremost year’s costs are still lesser as compared to the expenses incurred in day-to-day use of throwaway contacts. On completion, the on-going costing is considerably lesser as compared to the conventionally used soft contact lenses worn.
Firstly, a preliminary evaluation appointment would include a complete eye exam and computerized topographical scan of the cornea. This is done for assessing overall eye health and condition and additionally for determining the possible effectiveness of the method in that person.
A succession of Ortho-K eye contacts created from vastly oxygen-permeable firm component, fitting of which are done in advancing stages for lightly reshaping the cornea toward lesser curving and a greater sphere-shaped appearance. Stabilisation method then follows at a gradual rate over the subsequent couple of months varying from one to three months based on the extent of ocular error.
On acquiring maximal outcomes, the concluding or retainer eye contact lenses are to be worn for stabilizing the newly formed shape of the cornea. The concluding wearing time period is based on several variables, however the treatment aims at ideal unassisted eyesight for all or majority of one’s work hours.