After enjoying every bite of pasta alfredo, grilled burger or crème brulee, there’s a feeling of containment. But unfortunately in late hours there is a roller coaster riding on your stomach which has lead you to go nonstop to the bathroom.. It is not necessarily food poisoning, your stomach might get upset because of food intolerance or irritation also.
- Vomiting or having diarrhea will make you loose your interest from partying & hanging out with your pals, family & relatives to restaurants & hotels.
- Centers for disease control and prevention states that around 76 millions of people in a year are victims of food borne illness, & more than 300,000 patients are hospitalized. Although food related problems are for a short period but sometimes even your life may go for a toss. Around 5000 people in US are victims of food related illnesses every year.
- According to Jay Solnick, MD professor of medicine and an infectious disease specialist at the university of California Davis School of medicine food poisoning isn’t a medical term. It is basically bacteria in food that makes you sick.
- Food poisoning can be caused by a range of organisms including Campylobacter, Salmonella,Shigella, E. coli 0157: H7, Listeria, and botulism.
- The MD & staff physician at the Indiana University Health Center in Bloomington Mr. David Burkhart published a scientific article on food poisoning.
- Dairy products, raw seafood & eggs, lunch & undercooked meat and poultry items have got the capability to get perished of contaminated very oftenly. These products have got the high amount of risk compared to other for causing food poisoning.
- There are various symptoms of food poisoning that vary in severity from person to person. The basic & commonly known symptoms include vomiting, fever, diarrhea & abdominal pain.
- It depends on the resistance power of a human body. Some people may discover very different & unusual kind of symptoms like rashes on body or on some selected parts of body. Some may face severe abdominal pain where in some may face mild.
Some other reasons for Nausea & Vomiting
It’s all about intolerance. Bacterial infection is one of the crucial reasons for nausea & vomiting, but not always. Solnick & other experts say “You can be intolerant of something. It depends on the deficiency or substance that does not suit a particular human body. Some people find it difficult to digest lactose sugar that appears in milk. So they are intolerant to milk & milk related eating items. Same is the case with gluten sensitive people, these people may find it difficult to digest wheat & related items.
- Jason Dees, DO a family physician in New Albany, Miss and a member of the board of directors of the American Academy of Family Physicians states the stomach virus or gastroenteritis can also be a reason for Nausea & vomiting. This stomach virus may lead to irritation & inflammation of stomach & intestines which may make you feel restless.
- Food poisoning & gastroenteritis go hand in hand, distinguishing between them is really difficult. There is a lot of similarity in the symptoms of these both illnesses.
How to recognize food poisoning?
Burkhart Says it is difficulty in confirmation of food poisoning by looking after the symptoms.
Doctors generally will take a history of the patient suffering from food poisoning which will help him to reach to the conclusion. For instance according to burkhart if a person faces queasiness in his stomach before finishing the meal, then it is the possibility that the person is infected with an organism that develops food borne diseases.
If in a party of picnic, the people who attended maximum number of them fall sick due to stomach infection, then there is a possibility of food poisoning.
Household remedies for curing food poisoning
If the food related infection is mild, it can be treated by yourself at your home, acetaminophen will surely help you lower your fever.
The most important thing is to keep your self hydrated by increasing the consumption of energy drinks, soups, clear sodas, water & other fluids.
Oral rehydration solutions are also available, such as CeraLyte, Oralyte, and Pedialyte. Dees says these solutions contains the mixture of salt & sugar which will help you to regain all the other nutrients that you have lost when you have vomiting & diarrhea & help you strengthen yourself.
According to Dees, sports drinks should be avoided as they lack in the combination & ideal balance of electrolytes.
Time to take doctors appointment
Solnick says, In case of severe & unbearable abdominal pain & nonstop vomiting you definitely need a doctor.
People facing serious problems & weakness due to dehydration should call a doctor, mainly for those people facing underlying medical conditions & chronic heart problems.
Burkhart says if you are vomiting continuously & because of diarrhea you have lost your whole energy & feeling lightheaded, exhausted & weak its time to take doctor’s call. There are some more major & basic symptoms which will need doctor’s prescription. Numbness, fever above 100 degrees, blood passing through mucous or stool, non stop vomiting for more than two days & frequent diarrhea for more than three days. For severe vomiting, doctors may prefer antibiotics or a drug called antiemetic which will make you feel relieved.
Remedies for public health concern
Solnick says, if in party or a trip to restaurants causes food poisoning to the people who were a part of it, then make the doctor aware about it that this was the case & it had happened because of the food we consumed in the party. Here the public health department plays a important role, the public health department investigates about the restaurants & food suppliers & the full chain in which the food section is involved. Your doctor may try to figure out the organisms from your stool which has caused stomach infection of food poisoning. According to Dees he may even prescribe heavy medication & antibiotics in case of severity. Amongst all the food related diseases, many can be cured in a span of few days subject to severity.